Stores only want good quality art with the following requirements because that makes you and them look good. Plus, if your art doesn’t meet these requirements, this can cause the stores to delay your release going live - and who wants that?
Your Artwork Must Be :
- JPG, PNG, or GIF image file
- Perfect square and at least 1600 x 1600 pixels. iTunes recommends images to be 3000 x 3000 pixels ( IMPORTANT : If you are distributing your music to the Amazon On Demand store, your artwork must be EXACTLY 1600 x 1600 pixels)
- Best-quality RGB Color mode (including black and white images)
- Resolution of at least 72 dpi (300 dpi is better)
- Only include text stating the artist name and release title (exactly as it appears in the title you enter in TuneCore) or image only with no text
- Images that you own the rights to distribute
Do NOT include :
- Extra text outside of your release title and artist name
- Mismatching text on artwork and artist name/title (i.e. if you're uploading a single but your art says the album title where the single will later appear, this is a conflict. You must enter the single's title or no title on the art).
- Email addresses, URLs, or any other contact information or any pricing information
- Stickers or other items from your artwork in case you are scanning it in from a physical CD - please remove them
- Anything suggesting that your release is a physical or digital product, such as "CD," "DVD," "Digital Exclusive"
- Cut off artwork (cut off text or images) or blurry artwork
- Artwork that is compressed into one corner with the rest of the image having white space
- Anything saying "iTunes" or referencing a digital store name or logo
- Any copyrighted images that you do not own the rights to distribute
If your artwork does not adhere to these requirements, this may result in some stores rejecting your release.
If you do not have your own artwork, no problem! We generate cover art for you free of charge. Just click "Create artwork for me" when you are in the process of creating your release in TuneCore.
IMPORTANT: When you distribute to Amazon On Demand through TuneCore, their store will automatically put a color border around your artwork (they will use the color that best matches your artwork). This is not a TuneCore policy.
View Related Blog Posts
3 Things You Need to Know About Cover Art
How Not to Get Blocked by Stores For Formatting Errors