How does the Facebook Monetization service work?
With Facebook Monetization, users will be able to use your music in the content they create and share on the Facebook and Instagram platforms (in the future this will include a searchable Audio Library). Once you’ve opted-in for the Facebook Monetization service, your music is being monetized (please note, you will not see a visual confirmation, such as an ad, on videos that use your music).
How much does it cost to monetize my music on Facebook?
Opting into the service is completely free. You will keep 80% of the revenue TuneCore collects from Facebook.
How do I send my music to Facebook?
You can opt-in to Facebook Monetization any time by going to the following page in your account and selecting which tracks you wish to have monetized: https://web.tunecore.co.uk/facebook_tracks/subscription/new
When will I start getting paid revenue from Facebook Monetization?
We plan on paying our artists for Facebook usage in the third quarter of 2018. The exact month that payment will occur is dependent on when the first payment from Facebook is delivered. After the first payment, revenue will be paid out quarterly.
What's the difference between "eligible" sound recordings that I can monetize and "ineligible" sound recordings that I cannot submit to the Facebook Monetization service?
Eligible: You can submit specific tracks to the Facebook Monetization service that:
- Use only your own material for which you have exclusive rights.
- Use third-party material for which you have exclusive rights.
Ineligible: You can not submit tracks to the Facebook Monetization service that:
- Contain public domain clips or speeches
- Contain any audio library samples, sound effects, or production loops (such as GarageBand loops)
- Contain any third party content that you do not have exclusively licensed (such as samples you do not have exclusively licensed)
- Are karaoke versions or sound-a-like cover versions
- Are part of a compilation/various artists' albums
- You have previously licensed to a third party, on an exclusive basis
- Have already been submitted for monetization on Facebook through another distributor
- Are video game soundtracks (unless you are the video game publisher)
(Violations of these guidelines may lead to permanent blocking of your account from this service.)
How much will I get paid for Facebook Monetization?
TuneCore negotiated a lump sum payment from Facebook for their Monetization service that covers the next 2 years. In the first year, Facebook will not provide any usage reports for activity on their platform to any providers (this is the same situation for all distribution companies and major labels). As a result, TuneCore will be using a pro rata payment method for all music that has opted-in to the Facebook Monetization service during that time. After the first year (mid-2019), or once Facebook provides usage reports we will pay artists based on their actual usage in Facebook.